Internships provide an excellent opportunity to connect with an individual who has trained for a career area your company employs.
How can Talent Link help?
Through working relationships with area business and industry, Talent Link staff can help identify possible internship sites, and help connect the potential intern with worksites that align with his/her career pathway.
Sign up in the Career Cruising Network to participate. The Career Cruising Network is used in schools in Rock Island, Mercer, Henry, and Stark Counties in Illinois and Scott County in Iowa. The network also serves as a resource for career intermediaries working with schools and students in Clinton, Henry, Jackson, Louisa, and Muscatine Counties.
Tips for Working with Interns
- Make the intern’s experience as close as possible to your regular hiring process and orientation.
- Plan ahead for the intern’s work and projects.
- Provide a job description to outline what is expected.
- Have someone in the company mentor the intern.
- Include the intern in all aspects of your business.
- Offer compensation if you are able and/or legally obligated to do so. The right intern brings value to your company, and paying them reinforces their value.
- Provide on-going feedback…both good and constructive. Set clear expectations and hold the intern accountable.