Provide opportunities for individuals and groups to get an inside look at your workplace and specific careers. Tours can be a dynamic chance for students to see workplace skills in action and understand expectations in the world of work.
How can Talent Link help?Sign up in the Career Cruising Network to participate. The Career Cruising Network is used in schools in Rock Island, Mercer, Henry, and Stark Counties in Illinois and Scott County in Iowa. The network also serves as a resource for career intermediaries working with schools and students in Clinton, Henry, Jackson, Louisa, and Muscatine Counties.
Tips for tour guides
- Ask questions such as:
- What are the teacher’s expectations and goals for your tour?
- What is the background of those touring. Do they have specific areas of interest? Have they toured similar work-sites?
- Are any special needs in the group that you need to be aware of?
- Let the teacher know about any workplace requirements you may have such as clothing, close-toe shoes, eye protection, etc.
- Be as interactive as possible. Providing an opportunity for your group to experience your workplace, rather than just looking, can be extremely valuable.
- Encourage questions.