Youth job fairs provide a venue for working-age youth to connect with employers who are hiring. They are a great opportunity to learn appropriate job fair etiquette.
Am I ready for a Youth Job Fair?
Youth job fairs are most appropriate for youth who are ages 16 or older or 14-15 year olds who have a work permit. If you are ready to work, and you meet these criteria, you are ready for a youth job fair.
How can Talent Link help?
Talent Link staff work closely with area officials and workforce offices to plan and coordinate youth job fairs.
- Think of job fairs as an unofficial interview.
- Dress in interview-appropriate clothing,
- bring resumes to hand out,
- be prepared to shake hands, and
- be ready to talk with employers.
- Be prepared to share your schedule and availability with employers.
- Practice a 20-30 second elevator speech tell employers about your skills.
- Research company websites (if you know the participating companies) for those they are interested in.
- Do NOT
- talk negatively about former employers,
- "drop off" your resume without taking time to speak to representative,
- chew gum, or
- Look at your phone while at the fair.